Ambleside is a stunning thatch cottage nestled in the hills of the Southern Berg. The homestead boasts an elevated position on a 10 acre property with amazing views of both Rhino's Horn and Garden Castle .A dam has recently been constructed (Ideal for swimming and having sundowners at soon to be stocked with trout!) Plenty of parking for cars.
The house consists of:
* 1 bedroom with queen size bed.
* 2 smaller bedrooms, 1 with 2 single beds and the other with 2 sets of bunk beds.
* 2 bathrooms in main house
* 1 small cottage with 2 single beds and an en-suite bathroom
* 10 people can be comfortably accommodated
There is a cosy open plan diningroom and lounge with fireplace (1st bag of wood and coal supplied free of charge, thereafter R35 per bag will be charged)
DSTV is supplied.
The newly renovated kitchen is extremely well equipped with plenty of cupboard space. A microwave, gas and electric plate stove and oven, washing machine etc are but a few of the features.
Weber Kettle Braai - Please supply your own Briquettes
Things To Do
For the golfers - Close proximity to Drakensberg Gardens Hotel and it's scenic golf course.
For the fishermen - Excellent fishing is available at both the Hotel and also Castleburn Resort.
For hikers-“ fabulous walks close by including Three Pools, Pillar Cave and, for the more ambitious, The Rhino.
For horseriders - Superb facilities at close-by Lake Naverone
For those who want to chill - simply relax with a book and enjoy the view or braai on still evenings with just the stars and mountain air for company.
Linen and bath towels are provided for you. Gloria will be waiting at the cottage to welcome you! She will service it daily and help you with any queries you may have. She lives on the premises and her hours are approximately 8.30 till 4.00. Should you wish for her to wash and iron for you an arrangement can be made with her.
This quaint cottage is full of character and is set in a pretty garden with plenty of space for the kids to run around safely in. For a hassle-free, relaxing holiday - Ambleside is the place to be!
Small dam for swimming
GPS CO-ORDINATES S. 290 44 34E. 290 15 17
* Take the N3 past Pietermaritzburg, up Town Hill, pass the Hilton and Cedara turnoffs.
* Take the next turnoff (exit 99) Merrivale/ Howick South / Southern Berg (R617).
* Follow this road through Boston, Bulwer & Underberg.
* Drive right through Underberg, passing the Spar on your left, Mike's Restaurant on your right and the Underberg Country Club on your right.
* About 3Km outside of Underberg, turn right onto the Drakensberg Gardens Road. (P317) The turnoff is just before the Umzimkulu River Bridge. If you go over the bridge, you've gone too far.
* Follow this road for about 25Km. You will pass the resorts of Castleburn, Eland Valley & Lake Navarone.
* About 1Km past the Lake Navarone entrance, you will see a small gravel road turning off to the right. There are a number of signs showing the various cottages down this road.
* Take this gravel road and proceed about 1Km.
* After crossing the bridge you will see a stone & thatch cottage in front of you. That is Ambleside.
* Just before the top of the hill, turn left into the driveway.
* Take the right hand fork on the concrete strip driveway.
* You will see Gloria's house on you left.
* Pass this and follow the road to the house and make use of the thatch car port.
* Gloria will be there to meet you.
* Pass through the Mooi River Toll Plaza.
* After about 25km you will see the Tweedie/Howick turnoff. Ignore it.
* Just after this you will see the Midmar Dam wall on your right. (in the daytime)
* Do not take the next Howick turnoff - only take Exit 99 for Merrivale/HOwick South/Southern Berg - it's the R617
* At the end of the off ramp turn right under the bridge and follow the road through Boston, Bulwer and Underberg.
* Drive straight through Underberg, passing the Spar on your left, Mike's Restaurant on your right and the Underberg Country Club on your right.
* Abut 3km outside Underberg, turn right onto the Drakensberg Gardens Resorts Road. (P317) The turnoff is just before the Umzimkulu Bridge. If you go over the bridge, you've gone too far.
* Follow this road for about 25km. You'll pass the resorts of Castleburn, Eland Valley and Lake Naverone.
* About 1km past the Lake Navarone entrance, you'll see a small gravel road turning off to the right. There are a number of signs showing the various cottages down this road.
* Take the gravel road and proceed about 1km
* After crossing the bridge, you'll see a stone and thatch cottage in front of you on the left. It's signposted Ambleside.
Low season R700-00 for up to 4 people
Long weekends R900 for up to 4 people
Easter Holidays (Incl. Easter weekend) R900 for up to 4 people
July Holidays R900 for up to 4 people
October Holidays R900-00 for up to 4 people
1 December - 15 January R900 for up to 4 people
There is a charge of R150 per night per extra guest (low season)
There is a charge of R200 per night per extra guest (high season)